The text message exchanges released by the Court of Appeal also show that Meghan’s former Communications Secretary had her saved in his phone under the name Tilly.
When the Duchess of Sussex won her high-profile legal battle with the publishers of the Mail on Sunday earlier this year after they published parts of a letter she wrote to her father, she issued a statement saying she hoped it set a “legal precedent that you cannot take somebody’s privacy and exploit it in a privacy case.
However, for the past three days the Court of Appeal has been hearing Associated Newspapers Ltd’s bid to overturn that judgement which has involved significant new personal information being put into the public domain.
Meghan’s text message exchanges with her former Communications Secretary Jason Knauf were released by the court today after they featured in a witness statement by Mr. Knauf that the newspaper group is hoping use as new evidence.
Featuring her thoughts as she drafted the letter to Thomas Markle, the messages reveal Meghan’s frustrations at the royal family’s reaction to him talking to the media. She refers to Harry receiving “constant berating” over the situation.
“Even after a week with his dad and endlessly explaining the situation, his family seem to forget the context – and revert to ‘can’t she just go and see him and make this stop?
They fundamentally don’t understand so at least by writing H will be able to say to his family… ‘she wrote him a letter and he’s still doing it.
The message exchanges also show that Meghan drafted the letter with “the understanding that it could be leaked” and considered how calling Mr.
Markle “Daddy” would “pull at the heartstrings” in the “unfortunate” event it was made public. Mr. Knauf responded by praising her efforts as “very strong – enough emotion to be authentic, but all in a resigned sadness rather than anger.
Will redraft one page and try to fit it in.Meghan, who the messages show appeared to be saved in Mr.Knauf’s phone under the name Tilly, wrote that she felt “fantastic” after writing the letter, adding:
“And if he leaks it then that’s on his conscious (sic) but at least the world will know the truth. Words I could never voice publicly.
It was announced that Meghan had launched the civil case against Associated Newspapers Limited in October 2019 as she and Harry ended a royal tour of South Africa. She was awarded a summary judgement in February this year by High Court Judge Lord Justice Warby.
On Thursday, a witness statement from ANL’s lawyer Keith Mathieson said that, following the summary judgement in Meghan’s favor, the publisher was contacted by a source who said that Mr.
Knauf “now regretted not providing a witness statement to us.It did indeed turn out that, since the summary judgment had deprived Mr Knauf of the opportunity to provide evidence at a trial, he now wished to provide a witness statement to the parties so that his evidence could be considered as part of the appeal,” the statement read. A decision on the appeal is expected at a later date.